If our goal is to use a VPN to access services that are not available in our country, then you must find a VPN service that has VPN servers available in several countries. In this way, if we are Spanish and we want to access a service that is only available to US citizens, we will have to look for a VPN service that will provide us with an American IP. The vast majority of VPN services tend to offer VPN servers located in different geographical locations. The more geographic points we can choose, the greater the geographical restrictions that we can jump.
The protocol used by VPN services
There are several protocols for the operation of a VPN service such as PPTP, L2TP / IPSec, Proxy Server OpenVPN, SSTP, etc.
In terms of security, we have to avoid using a VPN with the PPTP protocol. The PPTP protocol is a protocol developed by Microsoft that is too old and has security vulnerabilities. In addition, the maximum size of the encryption key will only be 128 bits.
The other two protocols are more secure and modern and are good options in terms of security and privacy. Therefore you can use both L2TP / IPSec and Open VPN.
- It is an Open Source protocol.
- It is compatible with a multitude of operating systems.
- Although technically it is slower than L2TP / IPSec, it offers an acceptable speed and is a protocol that offers great stability.
- There are unconfirmed rumors and suspicions of characters like Edward Snowden, that the L2TP / IPSec protocol is vulnerable on the part of the NSA.
- It is a highly configurable and flexible protocol.
- Supports a large number of encryption algorithms.
- The request of personal data
- If you are worried about your privacy, do not trust a VPN service that asks for your personal data.
- It is not advisable to give personal information, such as your name and address when hiring a VPN service.
- In the case that they ask for an email, use one that is completely anonymous, such as Mail2Tor.
- Is the VPN server useful for what I want to do?
- There are VPN services that restrict certain activities such as the following:
- Perform P2P downloads.
- Browse the Deep Web.
- Transmit files through programs such as BitTorrent.
- Broadcast large amounts of traffic.
- To be many hours connected to the VPN service.